What is a (DBMS)?Advantages. Today I am Discussed about DBMS and its advantages , disadvanges.
Table of Contents
What is data base management system.
- Database management system (DBMS) is software used to manage databases. For example, MySQL, Oracle are commercial databases used in various applications.
- DBMS provides an interface to perform various operations such as creating databases, storing data, updating data, creating tables in the database, etc.
- Ensuring database protection and security. Data consistency is also maintained with multiple users.
The Data base system allows users to:
Data Definition: Used to create, modify and delete database objects, which defines the organization of data in the database.
Update Data: Used to insert, modify and delete the current data in the database.
Data Retrieval: Used to retrieve data from the database that can be used by applications for various purposes.
User Management: Used to enroll and monitor users, maintain data integrity, enforce data security, handle concurrency control,
monitor performance, and restore information damaged by unexpected errors.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of DBMS?
- Database Backup: It controls data redundancy as it stores all data in one database file and this stored data is placed in database.
- Data Sharing: In DBMS authorized users of an organization can share data among multiple users.
- Easy maintenance: Due to the centralized nature of the database system, it can be easily maintained.
- Reduced Time: Reduced development time and maintenance requirements.
- Backup: Provides a backup and restore subsystem that automatically backs up data from hardware and software failures and restores data when needed.
- Multiple User Interfaces: Provide different types of user interfaces, such as graphical user interfaces, application program interfaces.
- Hardware and Software Cost: For the DBMS software to run, but high data processor speed and large memory size are required.
- Size: Requires a lot of disk space and a lot of RAM to work efficiently.
- Complexity: Database systems create additional complexity and requirements.
- Major Outage Impact: Power outage affects database heavily as in most companies all data is stored in database and if database gets
- corrupted due to power cut or database failure, data can be lost forever.